Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 11:50:17 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CVS and CVSUP Servers

* Jim Flowers <jflowers@ezo.net> [000511 11:32] wrote:
> I have an open system application that I want to maintain from multiple
> servers (in different countries).  Cvspserver works ok from inetd but
> unless I have missed something, it can't be mirrored due to real-time
> commit requirements.
>
> It looks like I can use the cvsupd and cvsup-mirror ports OK but cvsup is
> not world-available (NT/2000 etc.).
>
> My thought is to do both using cvsup to maintain the mirrors from the
> primary host but then use cvs from the primary and all mirrors for local
> developers who can use unix/mac/windows cvs-enabled development platforms.
>
> My first read is that this is possible but it looks a little complicated
> so I hope someone can tell me if I'm not on the right track before I sink
> a whole lot of effort into it..

Ok, you don't want developers using local repositories to commit
to, only to do deltas and logs from.  You want them committing to
a centralized repository, you'd only use cvsup for mirror and
distribution.

Using CVSup should be fine, a more platform independant but much
less featurefull tool might be rsync.