Date:      Mon,  5 Mar 2007 18:44:36 -0500
From:      dewey hylton <freenx@deweyonline.com>
To:        Simon Proven <simon@simonproven.co.uk>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: nxserver-1.4.0

Quoting Simon Proven <simon@simonproven.co.uk>:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to work out how to make nxserver build for amd64 as I don't
> have a working solution of any kind (either tightvnc or vnc also being
> i386-only).
>
> I have been messing around trying to get it to build, and got past the
> -fPIC issue with a couple of patches.  However once it compiled, it did
> *not* create libX11.so, it only produced libX11.a
>
> I've  not managed to work out why this is yet; the Makefile generated in
> lib/X11 is not sufficiently different from that in i386 to be the issue,
> I perhaps need to diff the entire tree of generate Makefiles so I can
> see if there is a difference that's relevant.  I'm unfamiliar with the
> xfree86 build system so that is not helping me.
>
> Do you have any ideas about what might be the best approach to making
> this work?  I'd really like to get it working.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon

hello, Simon - thanks for your interest in the project!

unfortunately i was never able to get the 1.4 sources to compile on a 64-bit
system. in fact, i was never able to get the 1.5 sources to fully compile even
on a 32-bit system. that was a good while ago, though, and 2.x have been
released. thanks to another interested party, 2.x compiles on 32-bit systems
(i'm not sure about 64-bit yet). you can find alpha ports here:

http://www.deweyonline.com/nx/freebsd.html