Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:52:08 -0500
From:      "John Bolster" <j.bol@gte.net>
To:        "Freebsd-Questions@Freebsd. Org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help- I messed up usernames

I hope someone can help me with this...

I had one category of users with id's in the 1000 range and another category
in the 1200 range with different quotas. I entered 80 or so new users with
adduser and realized I'd put them in the wrong range- they were meant to be
1200's, but they were 1000's.

So I used vipw and changed all the user id's and group id's for the new
users to the correct range. Then I edited /etc/group and changed the group
numbers adduser had created to match what I'd done in vipw.

I thought I had handled it until I looked at repquota and saw that all the
bogus 1000 range user id's and group id's are still listed there- as
numbers, not as names. Also, there is no mention of the actual new names in
the quota list- only the users that existed before I entered the new ones
are still listed by name.

How can I reverse what I did and get the new ones back to being names
instead of numbers, and preferably in the correct range?

Thanks,
John