Date:      Mon, 21 May 2007 14:36:48 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hausen@punkt.de
Subject:   Re: Native SATA vs. PATA-emulation - difference?

Patrick M. Hausen <hausen@punkt.de> wrote:
 > I have a Tyan barebone on my desk that is based on the
 > ServerWorks HT1000 chipset. It features 4 SATA connectors
 > and 4 hot plug drive bays.
 >
 > I installed FreeBSD on the system with the BIOS settings as
 > set by the manufacturer. This includes setting the "SATA mode"
 > to "P-ATA emulation".
 >
 > The devices are probed by FreeBSD like this:
 > [...]
 > I set up a GEOM mirror on my boot disk, again, everythings working
 > as expected:
 > [...]
 > Out of curiosity I changed the BIOS setup setting for the
 > SATA controller to "native SATA".
 >
 > When booting, the controller and all disks are probed OK.
 > The output shows "SATA150" for the devices.
 >
 > Yet, the root filesystem on /dev/mirror/gm0s1 cannot be found.
 > Hitting "?" at the prompt that asks for manual root dev specification,
 > I get "ad4, ad4s1, ad4s1a ... ad6, ad6s1, ad6s1a ...". I can even
 > boot ad4s1 to single user mode, so all data on the disk can be
 > read just like when in "P-ATA emulation" mode.
 >
 > Why does gmirror fail to load?

Are the disk sizes exactly the same in both cases?  Please
provide dmesg output from the 2nd case (native SATA).

Most GEOM modules (gmirror, gjournal etc.) store their
meta data in the last sector of the device.  If the size
of the devices change when you change the emulation mode,
gmirror won't be able to locate the sector that contains
the meta data anymore.

Best regards
   Oliver

"anyone new to programming should be kept as far from C++ as
possible;  actually showing the stuff should be considered a
criminal offence" -- Jacek Generowicz