Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:59:31 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?q?Supote=20Leelasupphakorn?= <pjn0211@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can I subnet my network like this ?

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, [iso-8859-1] Supote Leelasupphakorn wrote:

> Hi, all
>
>    I would like to verify my knowledge
> by building the network like below but not
> sure whether it's impossible for subnetting
> like this - say, from Gateway no2, is divided
> to 172.16.0.0/16 and 172.17.0.0/16 subnet.

There should be no problems doing what you suggest.

>    I heard that it isn't recommend or
> impossible (not sure again) to use FIRST or
> LAST subnet in the allocated IP address pool,
> is it?

This is no longer the case. It stems from (a misunderstanding of?) the
"all zeros" or "all ones" network treatment (and by extension, subnets),
but I don't think any kit behaves like that in these CIDR days.  In any
case, 172.16/16 and 172.17/16 are (were) both "full class B" ranges so
anything broken enough to care ought to behave properly anyway.

Random act of violence against bread: whole pint.
  -- extract from the "Hawk the Slayer" drinking game