Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 1995 11:05:48 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
Cc:        "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sysctl status right now, and plea for testing.

<<On Wed, 6 Dec 1995 23:44:40 +0100, se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser) said:

> Yes. But without a dynamic name space it was no use for
> my purposes. Can't predefine 65536 entries for all possible
> PCI devices in one system (bus=0..255,slot=0..31,func=0..7).

No, you just define ones for the devices that are actually present!

> There might be several memory mappings active at a time for
> a single chip. Or none at all.

This suggests that sysctl(8) is probably not the best user interface
for this information.  No problem; it's not the best user interface
for kern.proc (`ps') or net.inet.udp.stats (`netstat'), either.

> } where the actual representation is an array (no need for a separate
> } count since we know the size) or, perhaps, a string (for easy parsing
> } by shell programs).

> Hmm, no, we don't know the size ...

You have to be able to compute the size or you can't use sysctl.  (Or
any other mechanism, for that matter.)

> Well, if there is a user interface to query system configuration
> variables (i.e. sysctl), why not use it.

Because sysctl is not the be-all and end-all of configuration
mechanisms.  Some subsystems are better off with a special-purpose
configuration mechanism designed specifically for the task at hand.  I
would not replace quota(2) with sysctl(3)!

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.