Date:      Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
To:        jbernt@bigfoot.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large Hard Drive...

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Jeffrey Bernt wrote:

> Help! I have an 8.4 gig hard drive with the first 4
> gig filled with win98. (first mistake,haha)
> I can put freebsd in a 2 gig partition, but redhat
> won't install onto the rest of the drive after I do
> this. Thinking that freebsd could handle anything, I
> try putting redhat into the 2 gig after the 98
> partition, and try putting freebsd into the remaining
> 2 gig. In fdisk, it shows an X in place of the
> partition name. Can anyone help? Would forgetting
> about redhat and just put freebsd into the remaining 4
> gig after win98 be plausible? Would it work?!?
> Please let me know if anyone has any thoughts.

Here's my suggestion:

hard drive
|---------------------|
|                     |
|  FreeBSD            |     Wastebasket
|                     |
|                     |     \  Windows  /
|                     |      \  Redhat /
|---------------------|       \_______/

Just kidding... :)

Seriously your best bet is this kind of setup:

hard drive
|---------------------|
|---------------------|
| Windows             |   <- 4 gigs
|                     |
|                     |
|---------------------|
| FreeBSD other partitions <- rest of space
|   /var, /usr and    |
|   swap              |
|---------------------|

each box is a primary partition, FreeBSD won't go in an extended one.

you may be able to do the same thing with Redhat, ie, a small root partition
and the rest of the system installed at the end of the disk and actually
install all 3 OS's.

As far as I know Linux can exist in an "extended partition" you may
have luck installing it there.

good luck,
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright@rush.net|bright@wintelcom.net]
systems administrator and programmer