Date:      14 Aug 2003 13:33:26 -0400
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshamlet@comcast.net>
To:        Mykroft Holmes IV <mykroft@explosive.mail.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as router - performance vs hardware routers

Wow, I think you guys have convinced me. I have had very good luck with
FreeBSD on an 933MHz EPIA board. It has performed well, and remained
stable for several months now. Nary a single lockup, even under load
(though it doesn't like floating point math much - folding@home crashes
immediately)

Only the network controller has problems occasionally, sometimes causing
initial connections to hang for a few seconds. I understand it's a quirk
in the VIA ethernet controller - but I've found a dual slot PCI riser
board, so I can load two normal cards into the router.

One quick question, though - how much RAM should I install in this
beast? I have a 65Mb DIMM laying around, but I could probably pull some
128's from my Windows box if need be.

Thanks,
Seth Henry