Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 2008 19:10:31 -0600
From:      Anthony Chavez <acc@hexadecagram.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID migration

Dear freebsd-questions,

I have a HighPoint 1820 RAID controller that is using 1 channel for an
OS drive and 3 channels for a RAID-5 array.  I'm interested in migrating
to a new (possibly non-HighPoint) card, and am wondering if I will be
able to plug the OS drive into one channel on the new card and have it
"just work."  Is it a safe bet that it will?

I'm curious to know if the array could be migrated just as easily, or if
I should listen to my instinct and count on bumping into
incompatibilities due to proprietary implementations.

Here are the relevant dmesg lines of my system as it stands:

hptrr: HPT RocketRAID controller driver v1.1 (Jun  7 2008 14:01:57)
hptmv0: <RocketRAID 182x SATA Controller> mem 0xf2000000-0xf207ffff irq
24 at device 1.0 on pci2
hptmv0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
hptmv0: [ITHREAD]
hptrr: no controller detected.
da0 at hptmv0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Maxtor 6 Y080M0 YAR5> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1 at hptmv0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
da1: <RR182x RAID 5 Array 3.00> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device

--
Anthony Chavez                                  http://hexadecagram.org/
mailto:acc@hexadecagram.org                    xmpp:acc@hexadecagram.org