Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:27:13 +0000
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mailq takes 25 sec to respond

On my ds10l alpha sendmail seem to work fine with the exception
of very long wait time for mailq (sendmail -bp) - about 25 sec.

I'm not convinced it is an alpha problem, so I post to this list.

On a much slower i386 running the same version of OS and of sendmail
it takes less than a second.

# uname -srm
FreeBSD 6.3-STABLE alpha

# sendmail -d0.1
Version 8.14.2
 Compiled with: DNSMAP LOG MAP_REGEX MATCHGECOS MILTER MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
                NAMED_BIND NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS PIPELINING SCANF
                TCPWRAPPERS USERDB XDEBUG

The only software difference between my i386 and my alpha I can think of
is that on alpha I run IPF:

# grep "= 25" /etc/ipf.rules
pass out on dc0 proto tcp from any to any port = 25 flags S/SA keep state

Is slow response of mailq an indication of misconfiguration?

many thanks
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht