Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:08:18 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@fast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dumb Question re Dirprefs

I've been using FreeBSD (my first Unix) for a year or so, but have
managed to shrug off most actual knowledge of how to use it like water
off a duck's behind.  So please forgive in advance the newbie nature of
the following question(s):

Currently I'm running a snapshot of -stable from the early days of 4.4
(updated via cvsup from 4.3).  Dirprefs is apparently a wonderful thing,
and I want it.  :)  However, I don't think I have a slice to spare for the
backup/restore process (nor do I know exactly how to backup/restore,
though I've read a bit in the man pages - but I digress, first things first).
I have a 20 gig and a 2 gig HD.  20 gig uses 7.5 gig for W2K, 12.5 for
FBSD.  About 10 gig is /usr, 1 gig swap, root is well less than 1 gig,
rest is /var.  2 gig HD is a FAT32 space I use for ease of swapping
files between FBSD and NTFS.  No tape, no Zip, no CD-RW.

I don't mind replacing the filesystem and starting fresh, but downloading
the whole shebang is out of the question on my dialup connection, I
think (28.8k is best the rural phone lines can do).  I gave my 4.3 disks
to a friend from Ireland, and 4.2 won't boot because my HD controller
is too new for it.

Would any setting I could pass to "make world" enable the
reorganization of my directories by dirprefs?  Do I assume correctly
that plain old "make world" would update, but not enable dirprefs to
reorganize, my current filesystem?

Is there something I can grab from the 4.2 CD, or via CVS or FTP that
won't take forever on my connection?  Or should I (more or less:)
patiently wait until November-December for my 4.4 disks to arrive in
the mail?

Jud