Date:      Mon, 25 Aug 2014 10:59:53 +0800
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Losing internal keyboard after disconnection external one

Hi,

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 12:05:00 +0200
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 17:46:50 +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 09:33:37 +0200
> > Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> >
> > it is only there when X is running.
>
> Could it be a HAL problem? It's known to cause problems with
> peripherials... ;-)

it looks like.

> > > What's strange about the system messages: "at uhub1, port 3, addr
> > > 1 (disconnected)" is appearing twice...
> > >
> > I think that this is the source of the problem. At some point both
> > keyboards are seen as the same and removed together.
>
> The error message refers to the same device. How is the
> laptop's keyboard represented? I thought it would have
> been a PS/2 keyboard, attached to atkbd, not a USB

of course, I did not think of this. Laptops will be the last devices
with PS/2 keyboards.

> keyboard (as built-in pointing devices are often recognized
> as PS/2 mice, being represented as psm0, not ums0).
> Additionally, AT keyboards usually cannot be removed,
> as they are not hot-pluggable per definition, and in
> most cases, they aren't even detected - only the keyboard
> controller is.
>
> Can you "dmesg | grep kbd"?
>
> Example from my home system:
>
> 	atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on
> isa0 atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
> 	kbd0 at atkbd0

kbd1 at kbdmux0
atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> port 0x60,0x64 irq 1 on acpi0
atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> irq 1 on atkbdc0
kbd0 at atkbd0
atkbd0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
psm0: <PS/2 Mouse> irq 12 on atkbdc0

> There is no keyboard connected, just a lonely HIL plug
> on the table. :-)
>
> The Sun Type 7 USB keyboard I'm actually using can be
> detached and re-attached in X without problems. If the
> IBM model M keyboard (can be connected to the HIL plug
> if needed) is present, it keeps working, no matter if
> another keyboard is attached or not.
>
> NB: I am using X without HAL.

I do always tests with a new machine and then leave HAL either on of
off depending on the outcome. This machine should have HAL enabled.

Erich