Date:      Thu, 4 May 2000 10:55:26 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        "DINKEY,GENE (Non-HP-Loveland,ex1)" <charles_dinkey@non.hp.com>
Cc:        "ListServer FreeBSD Questions" <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Strange SMC 8216 NIC behavior

> > Doug (dpoland@execpc.com) said:
> >
> > I'm installing 3.1R on a machine with an SMC8216T NIC.
> > When I do the full-screen config, I set the parameters
> > for the NIC according to the DIPs (I/O Base: 300, IRQ: 10,
> > RAM Base: 0xcc000).  I continue with an NFS install and
> > the NIC connects to the NFS server and everything is fine.
> >
> > However, when I boot the machine after the install,
> > dmesg says:
> >
> >  ed0 not found at 0x280
> >
> > An ifconfig -a does not list ed0.  When I do and
> > ifconfig ed0 10.20.1.129 255.255.0.0 it tells me
> > ed0 does not exist.
> >

> Gene said:
>
> When you first configure it your setting the device
> up to use io 300, the generic kernel is trying to
> find the device at 280.  You probably need to go
> in and adjust the options for the kernel driver
> and recompile the kernel.

Gene,

I thought the full-screen config parameters were
re-applied every time the kernel boots using
sysctl or something like that.

In fact, I've done this same install on 4 computers
in th= last month, all with the same SMC NIC, and
this is the only one to exhibit this behavior.

I'm obviously missing something here.  The other
installs were 3.4R and 4.0R.