Date:      Sat, 30 Jun 2001 18:20:46 -0400
From:      "Luis A. Burgos" <burgosl@bellsouth.net>
To:        <marcel@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: linux_base-6.1

------=_NextPart_000_01AF_01C10191.61DEC680

Hi Marcel,

I'm sorry I'm taking away some of you valuable time, but couldn't find a =
better person to ask, after all my posts in the newsgroups has remained =
unanswered.

I want to install Borland Kylix on FreeBSD stable. The current linux =
emulation distributed with 4.3-stable has the right kernel, but kylix =
requires glibc 2.2 or greater (or a custom patched version of 2.1) as =
well s libjpeg version 2.6 or greater.

My question is: is is possible to upgrade glibc and libjpeg for the =
linux emulation on 4.3 stable? If so, how?

I'm not a unix guru, so unless it's a straightforward task, I don't =
think I can do it. If so, are you planning to upgrade the linux =
emulation anytime soon, or are you waiting for the release of 5.0 to =
include a newer version.

The problem I have is that I don't like linux andI do like Kylix, but =
unfortunately, for obvious marketting reasons, Borland hasn't released a =
freeBSD-compatible version, and I'm not sure it ever will. as you may =
understand, it would be great if I could have my favourite kylix running =
on my favourite FreeBSD.

I'm not a long-time FreeBSD user, as I started with version 3.2, and for =
other reasons, had to stay away from it for a while, but the time I used =
it, I really loved it. It seems now I'll be abl to get back to it.

Best regards,

Luis

PS: About the official announcement of MS about having Corel porting the =
.Net thing to FreeBSD, how you guys feel about it? I think it's a pretty =
good thing, although the main reason why MS is doing that is not so =
noble.

------=_NextPart_000_01AF_01C10191.61DEC680

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi Marcel,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm sorry I'm taking away some of you valuable time, =
but=20
couldn't find a better person to ask, after all my posts in the =
newsgroups has=20
remained unanswered.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I want to install Borland Kylix on FreeBSD stable. =
The current=20
linux emulation distributed with 4.3-stable has the right kernel, but =
kylix=20
requires glibc 2.2 or greater (or a custom patched version of 2.1) as =
well s=20
libjpeg version 2.6 or greater.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My question is: is is possible to upgrade glibc and =
libjpeg=20
for the linux emulation on 4.3 stable? If so, how?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm not a&nbsp;unix guru, so unless it's a =
straightforward=20
task, I don't think I can do it. If so, are you planning to upgrade the =
linux=20
emulation anytime soon, or are you waiting for the release of 5.0 to =
include a=20
newer version.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The problem I have is that I don't like linux andI =
do like=20
Kylix, but unfortunately, for obvious marketting reasons, Borland hasn't =

released a freeBSD-compatible version, and I'm not sure it ever will. as =
you may=20
understand, it would be great if I could have my favourite kylix running =
on my=20
favourite FreeBSD.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I'm not a long-time FreeBSD user, as I started with =
version=20
3.2, and for other reasons, had to stay away from it for a while, but =
the time I=20
used it, I really loved it. It seems now I'll be abl to get back to=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Best regards,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Luis</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>PS: About the official announcement of MS about =
having Corel=20
porting the .Net thing to FreeBSD, how you guys feel about it? I think =
it's a=20
pretty good thing, although the main reason why MS is doing that is not =
so=20
noble.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>