Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 2002 03:03:43 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   "A"utodefaults in disklabel on 5.0dp2 install

This is something I noticed while installing 5.0-dp2.  I'm not sure
how much we'd want to change it.

I'm installing dp2 on a 4-gig disk.  I want to split that in two,
with "dos" for the first 2 gig and freebsd in the last 2 gig.  When
I got to the disklabel step, I tried the "Auto Defaults" option to
split up the freebsd partition.  It picked partition sizes of:

     128 meg   - /
    1231 meg   - swap space
     208 meg   - /var
     208 meg   - /tmp
      83 meg   - /usr

This is a machine with 768 meg of memory, but I think the install
is more likely to work with a less swapspace and something more
than 83 meg for /usr.  I know it's tricky to come up with an
algorithm which will pick decent sizes for every combination of
disk and memory sizes, but perhaps it should wire in some kind of
minimum size for /usr.  Also, maybe something to the effect that
neither /var nor /tmp should end up larger than /usr.

I have not looked at the source, so maybe it's just a simple case
of the swap calculation being done based on the size of the hard
drive instead of the size of the freebsd partition.