Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:21:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ken Bolingbroke <hacker@bolingbroke.com>
To:        "Keyes, Randall" <randall.keyes@jnli.com>
Cc:        "'questions@FreeBSD.org'" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I need to learn UNIX --- Free BSD or Linux?

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001, Keyes, Randall wrote:

> Questions:
> 1.  In reality, which OS is closer to AIX/Solaris/other System V in
> administration commands?

AIX is in a world all of its own, or as they say:

  AIX was implemented by Klingons from a description of Unix given by a
  blind Romulan  with a broken translator.
        --Mike Andrews in alt.sysadmin.recovery

I haven't used Linux much heavily in the last few years, but back when I
used Linux and Solaris on the same network, I thought Linux had more in
common with Solaris than FreeBSD did.  But FreeBSD is close enough that
you'll learn the essentials anyway.

> 2.  Will your OS dual-boot with W2K Server?

Yes, both FreeBSD and Linux are able to dual boot with W2K and other
operating systems.

Ken