Date:      Tue, 15 Aug 2000 20:41:31 +0200
From:      Jonas Bulow <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPC, shared memory, syncronization AND threads...

John Polstra wrote:

> In article <3997BD3E.2B65AD19@servicefactory.se>, Jonas Bulow
> <jonas.bulow@servicefactory.se> wrote:
> > John Polstra wrote:
> Actually I thought about this some more, and I'm not all that sure
> it's possible.  I haven't actually _tried_ it, but I think you'd end
> up needing a low-level mutex around parts of the code.  That would
> have to be implemented as a spinlock, which is exactly what we're
> trying to avoid in this exercise.

What do you mean with low-level mutex? I mean, how low is low? :-)

After doing some more thinking about the cmpxchgl-lock, it's quite hard
to use it together with a technique involving the kernel. It will be a
contradiction in many ways. I would be nice to have kqueue a EVFILT_MEM
and wait for the contents of a memory adress contain a specific value
(or other condition like threshold, range entrance/leaving). Then it can
be used to wait for the adress used with cmpxchgl. Well, this was just
thinking for this very moment.

> > don't know it it's bad design to have rtld.c export
> > lockdflt_init in the same way as dlopen, what di you think?
>
> Right, bad design. :-)

just cheking.. :-)