Date:      Mon, 10 May 1999 10:47:08 +1000
From:      Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Directories disappearing with CVSUP, -stable, and SOFTUPDATE

> 1. Was NFS involved in any way?

Nope.  NFS configured in the kernel but not running on this box.

> 2. Please bracket the date when it happened as tightly as possible.
> I.e., definitely after XX date, but definitely before YY date.

Definitely after Apr 22 12:45 (UTC+1000) (I have some flat files in the
symlinked-to dir with that date - I assume the mtime gets tweaked by CVSUP?).
Definitely before Apr 28 11:22 (UTC+1000) as most the dirs in the new
non-symlinked tree have that (28/5) date.  Judging by the timestamps, I'd say
the cvsup on 28th was the culprit because the timestamps on the dirs are 5-10
minutes apart, indicating a whole buncha processing for each dir.

> 3. If anybody has the log output from the offending run, that would
> really help.

Alas, no more :<

> 4. You didn't fiddle with that symlink around that time, did you?

Nope.