Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 11:04:32 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <wotan@fosburgh.dyndns.org>
To:        Ho Seng Yip <hsengyip@singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Could Not Start Apache on FreeBSD

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Ho Seng Yip wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have just installed 'apache-1.3.4' (if I remembered correctly), and have
> configured the configuration files, setting the 'ServerHost' directive to
> 127.0.0.1 in one of the files.
>
> When I tried starting the server with '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start', it
> gives me the error message, '/usr/local/sbin/apachectl start : httpd could
> not be started'. For your information, httpd is located at
> '/usr/local/sbin/httpd' and it can be executed manually without any errors.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on troubleshooting the problem ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Seng Yip

For some reason, this port of apache wants to look in
/usr/local/etc/apache/etc/apache for all of its files.  I unsucessfully
attempted to use the command line options to fix this, so here is what i
did.

mkdir /usr/local/etc/apache/etc
ln -s /usr/local/etc/apache /usr/local/etc/apache/etc/apache

This works, though I realize this is less than an ideal solution.  If
anyone has further suggestions, I am open. :)

Jonathan Fosburgh
Geotechnician
Snyder Oil Corporation
Houston, TX