Date:      Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:24:00 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, Yana Lehey <yana@lemis.com>
Subject:   Re: Back to school

Greg Lehey wrote:

> My daughter has just gone back to school after the summer break.  She
> brought back a sheet of paper today with various hints on how to use
> their Microsoft system.  One thing I found particularly interesting:
>
>   * Deleting a file is simple.  Right click on the Start button and
>     choose Explore.
>
>   * Scroll down to the Network Neighbourhood.  Navigate your way to
>     the folder as before.
>
>   * Move the mouse on to the file you want to change and right click.
>     You can now delete or rename the file.
>
> Is there something wrong with me to think that this is more
> complicated than `rm file'?

You haven't Cc:'d this to the school ;-)

Serious question Greg. Does your daughter use a computer at home,
other than for games? If so does she use one of your Unix boxes or do
you have a Windows PC?

I ask because I've setup KDE and fvwm95 on my machine (I use olvwm)
together with a selection of games and editor/word processor packages
(Wordpad type things) to see if I could get the kids to use FreeBSD
instead of Win95.

It has proved quite a successful exercise but my eldest daughter (12)
is now starting to get research type homework tasks for which a
Multimedia Encyclopaedia (no, we don't use M$ Encarta) is invaluable.
As all of these are Windows-only it really prevents me from being able
to remove Win95 (and give FreeBSD another 255MB).

OK, such research could be done on the Internet, but telephone charges
could make this prohibitive, especially for schools. I rather hope
that with the increased acceptance of Linux in the mainstream we may
see Linux versions of such software available in the not too distant
future. Then I can get rid of 95.