Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2010 14:39:48 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Mathias Sogorski <mathias.sogorski@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freeze on closing terminal that runs wpa_supplicant

> Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:47:19 +0100
> From: Mathias Sogorski <mathias.sogorski@googlemail.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>
> Hello!
> I am running 8.0-RELEASE on a notebook with the Intel 3945 WiFi. I
> usually start wpa_supplicant [...]& on a terminal when entering gnome
> followed by the dhcpcd call to use the WiFi connection. After having
> finished work and closing the terminal that runs wpa_supplicant,
> everything freezes and I have to turn the power off. Any suggestions?

Is there a reason you don't use the standard incantation of
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf?

An alternative would be to manually do an "/etc/rc.d/netif stop wlan0"
or, even "ifconfig wlan0 down". I suspect that yanking the parent
process out from under the wpa_supplicant is causing a deadlock. (This
is a bug, but I have no idea how difficult it might be to fix.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)