Date:      Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:52:23 -0800
From:      "a l" <hakubi_@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.7-STABLE upgrade boot failure.

  First, let me profusely apologize if this is a dual post, as I tried to
post two days ago and never saw it come up on the list. Trying now with a
free webmail account.

  Did a clean buildworld, installworld, etc. etc. on a 4.5-RC1 system up to
4.7-STABLE release. Everything went through fine, no problems.

  Rebuilt kernel and installed the new 4.7 GENERIC kernel, no problems.

  Ran mergemaster, did a MAKEDEV, no problems.

  Rebooted.. and problems. Upon boot, it tries to load up the root partition
off of /dev/ad4s1a (which is correct), but brings up a "Mount boot failure:
16" error, and asks for a good ufs root location.  Typing in ufs:/dev/ad4s1a
does no good.

  IDE controller = Highpoint HPT370 onboard = ar0.
  IDE drives = 2x IBM 60gig mirrored = ad4, ad5.

  Eventually, had to boot to 4.5-RC1 kernel which came up fine on
/dev/ad4s1a. The problem is, everything else is 4.7 now, so there's lots of
weirdness.

  The problem is in the kernel? No more support for Highpoint controllers?
Is there something else I should be doing in /dev besides a MAKEDEV std?

  Help?

  Aaron Lewis
  hakubi_@hotmail.com