Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:27:44 +0200
From:      "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Review request for rescue.7

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr

On 2003.07.12 12:05:12 -0400, Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 02:18:35 +0200
> "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk> wrote:
>=20
> > rescue.7  text/plain (4681 bytes)]
[CUT]
> > In particular, they do not have full use of the locale,
> > .Xr pam 3 ,
> > and nsswitch libraries.
> > .Pp
> > If your system fails to boot, and it shows a prompt like:
>=20
> s/like/similar/  or "shows the following prompt"

Since the prompt might not always be exactly that string, I prefer to to
be a bit vague, so I think I will go with Scott Lambert's "similar to".

> > .Pp
> > .Dl Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
> > .Pp
> > the first thing to try running is the standard shell,
> > .Pa /bin/sh .
> > If that fails, try running
> > .Pa /rescue/sh ,
> > the rescue shell.
>=20
> "which is the rescue shell"?

Used.

> > The next step is to double-check the contents of
> > .Pa /bin ,
> > .Pa /sbin ,
> > and
> > .Pa /lib ,
> > possibly mounting a
> > .Fx
> > rescue CD-ROM (e.g.
>=20
> IIRC, its called the "Live Filesystem CD"

Yes, it is.  Since it doesn't really has to be disc2, but could be
something similar, how about the following?

=2EFx
rescue or
=2EDq live filesystem
CD-ROM (e.g.
=2ELi disc2

> > .Li disc2
> > of the officially released
> > .Fx
> > ISO images) and copying files from there.
> > Once it is possible to successfully run
> > .Pa /bin/sh ,
> > .Pa /bin/ls ,
> > and other standard utilities, try rebooting back into the standard
> > system.
> > .Pp
>=20
>=20
> Hope this helps.  I was in the process of collecting some of my

It does, thanks!

> notes from 'fixing' my laptop after something went wrong, and
> writing an in depth trouble shooting guide covering the live
> filesystem CD and other things.  Although I am really lacking
> in time right now.

I think it could be interesting with an article (or a part of the
handbook) about this topic.

--=20
Simon L. Nielsen

--x4pBfXISqBoDm8sr