Date:      Thu, 19 Nov 98 15:14:33 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        spamoff@tampabay.rr.com
Cc:        kaleb@ics.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0 ethernet driver -- another puzzle

> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY wrote:
>
> > I'm confused (as usual).
> >
> > I bought a Linksys EtherPCI LAN Card II after checking the Handbook
> > see if it was supported.
>
> Great card...ne2000 clone

the correct device driver for NE2000 NICs is "ed" (not "de")

I've installed recently such a beast (PCI version). The kernel found it
automatically (I assume PCI boards are really Plug'n Play - except when
you are toying with AGP. I included in kernel config file the ed driver
as an ISA board, though) and calls it "ed1"

	TfH

> > The Handbook say this NIC is based on the DEC DC21xxx.
> >
> > The Handbook and the LINT kernel config say to use de0 for DEC
DC21xxx