Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:05:27 -0800
From:      "Michael Bryan" <fbsd-isp@ursine.com>
To:        "FreeBSD-ISP" <isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: unsolicited mail

Another option, if you're using a recent version of sendmail,
is to put something like the following line in /etc/mail/access:

	david@iant.com	550 Invalid username

Then remake access.db:

	makemap hash /etc/mail/access.db </etc/mail/access

The benefit here is that the message itself is not delivered to your
mail system.  Instead it is rejected during the initial "MAIL FROM:"
"RCPT TO:" phase of the SMTP transfer.  It also has the benefit of
returning a bounce message to the sender, on the off chance they'll
actually process it.  It does -not- send a message to your postmaster
account, even if the return address on the spam is bogus.

            +------------------------------+

          +------------------------------+
 +------------------------------+

>On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, matt wrote:
>

>> Make an e-mail alias that pipes all mail to david@iant.com to /dev/null.
>> I'm not sure how to do that with sendmail, but I did it with qmail. I'm
>> sure one would be able to do this with sendmail or postfix as well.
>>
>> This can be a big help if the user recieving all the spam is not a real
>> user on your site. I also have been getting increased amounts of email
>> spam, it would seem these idiots increase their spamming around the
>> holidays. Hope this helps.
>>
>> Matt
>>
>> On Sat, 27 Nov 1999, jahanur wrote:
>>
>> : HI folks,
>> : Holiday greetings to you all.
>> : I have been receiving unsolicited e-mail to one of my virtual e-mail
>> : domain which does not exist. It looks like that somebody who used to=
 own
>> : this domain(iant.com) had a user called "david" and this person put=
 his
>> : email address to some big sales email lists companies ( I think its=
 all of
>> : the lists in the world). And listed himself as "david@iant.com". We=
 host
>> : the virtual site "www.iant.com" since the beginning of this year.=
 Since I
>> : up the Virtual DNS before I had any user added for this organization,=
 the
>> : emails for david@iant.com was hitting our server and keeping my server
>> : busy. Ofcourse I (the admin) gets the returned mail message from the
>> : sendmail.
>> : I ignored it for 3 months and thought that the email listing companies
>> : will take care of it when they get the message not sent to=
 david@iant.com.
>> : But I see that it is increasing more and more everyday, about 10 to 15
>> : messages sometimes.
>> : Actions that I took against it is
>> : 1) I tried to send warnig e-mail to the dns it was comming from.(did=
 not
>> : work). I get returned mail from that.
>> : 2) I tried to creat the user and send the "unsubscribe messge to
>> : particular list" as david, as they curtiously suggest the serder to do=
 so
>> : at the bottom of the email. It looks like that also does not work.
>> :
>> : I dont what to do now. Please help me.
>> : I know this is your holiday time so I can wait.
>> :
>> : Thank you in Advance.
>> :
>> : Jahanur
>> :
>> :
>> :
>> : with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message
>> :
>>
>> --
>> "If the primates that we came from had known that someday politicians
>>  would come out of the...the gene pool, they'd a stayed up in the trees
>>  and written evolution off as a bad idea. Hell, I always thought the
>>  opposable thumb was overrated."
>>         -Sheridan, "A Distant Star"

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-isp" in the body of the message

Michael Bryan
fbsd-isp@ursine.com