Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 18:35:22 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <s.hein@spinner.de>
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com> types:
> > These and further [formerly not encountered] complications may
> > have their reasons and justifications. - What I, and certainly
> > some other average users, primarily notice is that FreeBSD
> > installation and upgrading is becoming each time less handy.
> I'll have to say that I haven't noticed that myself. It's been my
> experience that the quality and usability of the system continues to
> improve with each new version.

I've noticed two different things. One is that upgrading FreeBSD
proper has gotten easier. The introduction of mergemaster was a major
step forward.

The other is that I'm spending more effort upgrading ports. The port
upgrade process isn't really controlled by FreeBSD, but by the authors
of the ported software. Which means it hasn't really changed much. But
the number of ports I've got installed has gone up noticably over the
last few years. The net result is more work upgrading ports.

	<mike