Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 2002 21:19:10 -0400
From:      Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
To:        Thomas Skibo <skibo@pacbell.net>
Cc:        Tony Saign <tony@saign.com>, 'FreeBSD Mobile' <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: host AP and shared authentication mode

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 05:29:14PM -0700, Thomas Skibo wrote:
: Tony Saign wrote:
: >
: > This works AWESOME!
: >
: > 128-bit WEP is working, others are unable to connect without encryption
: > :)
:
: Cool!
:
: > Is there any way to "close" it, so the ssid isn't visible to
: > dstumbler/netstumbler??
:
: I looked into this.  I can't seem to find a way to disable beacons
: and probe responses.  They're handled by the Prism 2 firmware when
: port type is 6 (host AP).  I wish there was a way to disable them and
: just manually do beacons and probes in the kernel so we could ignore
: probe requests with unspecified ssid and optionally disable beacons.
: I know that more than a few people want this feature.

Couldn't you just set the interface to "-noarp" and then proxy-arp the
appropriate cards based on MAC addresses?  Isn't that the equivalent of
what most base-stations do?

In fact, the only problem I see is how to pass FreeBSD's MAC to the
other end (is this just a problem with FreeBSD's "-noarp" option).

        --Jerry

Open-Source software isn't a matter of life or death...
...It's much more important than that!