Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 14:43:07 -0600
From:      "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What size has my disk? (Was: "No /boot/loader")

Hello,

I still have boot problems. I tried to install FreeBSD 4.1 on a 10
Gig harddrive (disk 1), having Windows 98 running on a 1 Gig disk2.

Installing goes OK but when I try to reboot, I get:
Disk error: 0x1 (lba ....)
No /boot/loader

... and after hitting enter again:
Disk error: 0x1 (lba ....)
No /kernel

But now I discovered a strange thing: Disk 1 has a total size of 10,2
Gigabite. When I display the disk information with DOS fdisk, it
shows:

Partition Status Type       Volume Label MB   Used
1            A        Non-Dos  -          -        9787 100%

... and then:

Total Disk Space: 504 MB !!!!

That is, total disk space (504) is only a fraction of MB's in used by
Partition 1 (9787MB!!!). How is this possible? How to correct this
situation?

The problem is that I can not reformat Disk 1 from DOS as it sees
only the 504 MBs? How to reformat the WHOLE disk (10,2 Gig)?

Please give my any hints!!!

Thanks a lot!

-brt

   Bert Hiddink, FUNDACION GALILEO
   Correo electronico: hiddink@galileo.or.cr
   Sitio: http://www.galileo.or.cr
   Tel. (506) 280 8683, telefax. (506) 280 8847