Date:      Sat, 04 Jul 2009 20:17:36 +0200
From:      Ivan Radovanovic <rivanr@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Weird installation issue

Hello,
I recently wanted to update FreeBSD on my computer to latest version,
but now I am facing weird problem. After completing installation from
dvd I can't boot into BSD. I naturally assumed this is some boot
manager/boot sector issue, and since I am using Vista also (but on the
other hard disk) I first overwrited its boot manager with FreeBSD's but
without any luck (when I press F2 to start BSD machine either stops to
respond or prints # for any keypress, no any messages from BSD
bootloader). After that I tried to make BSD entry in grub from open
solaris but with the same symptoms (freezing without any message on the
screen). I also tried installing GAG boot manager but with the same
results.
When I open BSD's partition using some hex editor boot sector seems
written correctly. Also if I boot fixit prompt from dvd I can mount
partition from hard disk (I tried only mounting a partition where is /)
everything looks written correctly. However if I escape to loader prompt
at dvd during boot and set currdev to "disk1s1a:" when I issue ls
everything freezes.
I believe this is some booting issue on my machine, but I am loosing
ideas what can I try next.
Please advise what I should try (FreeBSD is my first choice for UNIX and
now I am stuck with open solaris)

Ivan