Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:04:58 +0100
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@shikima.mine.nu>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status, USB/Olympus E-10

* Nick Hibma <n_hibma@van-laarhoven.org> [020415 08:48]:

> Running with a debug kernel should be no problem and not much slower
> than running with a production kernel.

I thought the '-g' flag created two kernels,
kernel and kernel.debug.

I've always found I can run with kernel, then just pass kernel.debug to
'gdb -k' after a panic/reboot (see below).

> The only problem is that the
> machine no longer can be used in unattended mode as it drops into the
> debugger on panic.

options         DDB_UNATTENDED          # reboot after panics

is fine for me (so long as savecore is enabled and you have enough swap).

Mr Lucas (he of blackhelicopter fame) did a good howto at:

http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a//bsd/2002/04/04/Big_Scary_Daemons.html

(that's part 2 - part 1 is linked from there)

(Not for Nicks benefit, I just thought it explained stuff well in case anyone
else on the list in unsure how to do this).

--
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::