Date:      Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:15:11 +0200
From:      Bernhard Schmidt <bschmidt@freebsd.org>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Kang Yin Su <cantona@cantona.net>, freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AR5416 beacon issue.

On Tuesday, August 23, 2011 13:49:16 Adrian Chadd wrote:
> I think we'll need some review/testing of that patch before we commit
> it to -HEAD.
> That, and I'd like to actually document what the drivers are supposed
> to do with respect to hardware generated sequence numbers.
>
> Bernhard?

Please stop top posting, thanks.

You can't over-simplify here. Some HW supports generating seqnos,
some other don't and yet again other overwrites it anyways. What
you really need is a per-case decision. If the hardware is able
to generate seqnos correctly (which afaik ath is) then use it.
If the generated numbers are wrong for whatever reason, then try
to use those generated in software.

What you can generalize is, if the HW does something wrong (or
not 100% correct) try to use SW as a fallback. See the beacon
miss implementation in SW as an example, it is only used for
the multiple VAP case, otherwise the HW function itself is used.

--
Bernhard