Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:15:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      Zonesville <zonesville@yahoo.com>
To:        jjr@alisa.org
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update on JVM ... Tomcat quesion

From: "John J. Rushford" <jjr@alisa.org>
> And so it does.  I must of found that out and had forgotten about it.
> Anyway,
> I've also built it for a 4.8 machine and a 5.1 machine.    I built it
> sometime back using Apache 2.0.46 and Tomcat 4.1.24.  If it meets your
> needs, I can send you the mod_jk2.so file, example workers2.properties
> for apache and a jk2.properties for tomcat.
>
> Basically, I built it by first installing Apache 2.0.46, tomcat 4.1.24,
> and Ant.  I then downloaded the jk2 source file,
> jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.24-src and built the connector.  I have
> it working on both a 5.1 and a 4.8 machine.
>
> I used this book and followed the step by step procedures for building
> and configuring the mod_jk2 connector:
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/tomcat/index.html
>
> This is an excellent book by the way.
>
> regards
> John Rushford

Hi John,

I can't reply directly to you or the list (I guess my isp is on some spam list)....

There has been some confusion about what the jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.X-src archive should be
used for. Actually it is being discussed on the tomcat-dev list now. The
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.X-src should be used when building tomcat from source. It should not
be used to build the native mod_jk or mod_jk2 connectors. The reason is that the native connectors
are released on their own schedule and have their own source archives. If you use
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.X-src to build mod_jk or mod_jk2 you will not be building the last
stable release of them. Depending on timing of tomcat releases and jtc releases you will be
building from the development version and may not even build (as was recently reported on
tomcat-dev for jtc-4.1.29-src).

If you want to build the stable versions of mod_jk or mod_jk2 please use
jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk-1.2.5-src for mod_jk or jakarta-tomcat-connectors-jk2-2.0.2-src.

Regards,
-Kurt

P.S. Please reply to truk@optonline.net for off-list replies. This address is only checked once
every other month or so.