Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:05:20 +0100
From:      "Richard Morte" <richard@sinclairassoc.force9.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   DNS configuration problems with BIND 8.1

Hi. Can anyone help with the following problem.

I work from home and am trying to set up the following configuration:

     -----        --------

                  --------
                  --------

                  --------
                  --------

                  --------
                 |  rics2 |   192.168.120.103  Win 95
                  --------

Although I could enter addresses/names into 'hosts' on all the machines (and
this seems to work fine), I wanted to get DNS working on sparky so that I
could use it running Apache as a local web server during development of
clients' sites. This way I can access development sites, run test scripts
and hack around till I get things working correctly. I also wanted to use it
as a server for the Win m/c's by running Samba.

Question: Much of the documentation on BIND/DNS refers to named.boot.
However, I believe 8.1 requires entries only in named.conf. Is this
unequivocally correct?

If so, I believe I am almost there in getting DNS working. The next set of
questions will require me to post the output of a number of config and log
files (too much to post in this initial query). If anyone is willing to do a
little hand-holding and doesn't mind picking their way through the .conf and
.log files I will post the output to them.

PS. DNS/BIND seems to be a regular issue in the mailing archives. As a
technical author and I am as much interested in knowing why things work as
well as why they don't. If I get DNS sorted, does anyone think it a good
idea to put it all together in a "diary" or FAQ or something? Would this be
useful?

Thanks in anticipation of any replies!

Richard Morte