Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 2006 15:04:17 -0400
From:      "David Robillard" <david.robillard@gmail.com>
To:        "Laurie Zimmerman" <ljzimmerman@mindspring.com>
Subject:   Re: MONOWALL WAN

> I have a client who would like to share a DSL connection with a neighboring
> office.  I would like to put my clients network (they only need to share
> Internet) on a separate IP network behind a monowall.  My question is, will
> monowall allow a private address (the LAN IP of router) to be its WAN
> address?
>
> Thanks
>
> Laurie

Hi Laurie,

I'm not sure about monowall, but I know for sure that an OpenBSD or
FreeBSD machine running OpenBSD's packet filter will do the trick very
nicely. Check out pf(4) and pf.conf(5) or the FreeBSD Handbook on the
subject. You can also grab a copy of Jacek Artymiak's book "Building
Firewalls with OpenBSD and PF, 2nd edition" which covers pf(4) very
well.

Some URL on the subject:
- FreeBSD Handbook Section 26.4 The OpenBSD Packet Filter (PF) and ALTQ
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.html

- pf(4)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

- pfctl(8)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pfctl&sektion=8&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE

- pf.conf(5)
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=pf.conf&sektion=5&apropos=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE

- Jacek Artymiak's book "Building Firewalls with OpenBSD and PF, 2nd edition"
http://www.artymiak.com/books/index.html

Have fun,

David
--