Date:      Sun, 13 Apr 2008 13:12:41 -0500
From:      Mark Kane <mark@mkproductions.org>
To:        mezz@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: linux-opera-9.27.20080331 (Machine freezes when printing)

Hi.

I'm experiencing a problem when printing with the latest version of
linux-opera. When I go to print a job with a clean start of the
program, the entire machine will freeze up under certain circumstances.

The first job of the Opera session prints perfectly. By first job I
mean I start Opera up, print one job, and it comes out properly.
However when I go to print something else while still running that same
instance of Opera, everything will freeze right as the final "Print"
button is clicked.

The clock stops, the mouse won't move, any sound playing stutters
indefinitely, SSH sessions from other machines into this one freeze up
and cannot reconnect, pings to the machine stop responding, etc. I have
tried this several times now with slightly different methods. Sometimes
the machine just sits there hung up until I do a hard shutdown and
other times it has panicked and rebooted itself after a minute or so. I
have gotten some output in /var/log/messages on one test and a coredump
on another which I will post and explain below[1].

I have tried this with my regular Opera saved session which has lots of
tabs open as well as a completely clean "profile" (starting with a new
~/.linux-opera). Each time the first print job of that instance works
fine but the second one causes the freeze. I have tried waiting until
the first job is completely printed as well as printing one immediately
after the other, both result in the freeze on the second job. I have
also tried with different pages and it happens on the second job
regardless of the page content. The unclean shutdowns have also caused
some data loss, mainly just the autosave.win file that I have noticed
but it's worth noting.

I have Opera setup to print to a "Custom Printer" (CUPS) with the
"Printer Program": "/usr/local/bin/lpr"

And "Parameter": "-PBrother_HL-5250DN_series_192.168.1.10"

I think this is a fairly recent issue as I do not remember it in the
past at all. I have been keeping pretty current with my ports as well
as updating to the latest RELENG_7 every few weeks. I do know that it
wasn't introduced in the very latest version (9.27) as I was
experiencing it in 9.26 as well but got caught up in other things for a
week or so before being able to test this more and report it. By the
time I got to testing, the port was updated to 9.27, which I am running
now and can confirm it still happens on.

I have tried printing with other applications, both Linux and native,
such as Adobe Acrobat (8), Claws Mail, the lpr binary from the command
line, etc, and I cannot reproduce the problem with any of them so I
don't think it's a general Linux emulation or CUPS problem. I'm not
sure what area this problem is so that's why I'm emailing the
maintainer and ports@ for now.

I am running RELENG_7 and an updated ports tree as of Friday afternoon
USA time. Some versions are:

linux-opera-9.27.20080331
cups-base-1.3.7_2

FreeBSD amd645200.localhost 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #6: Fri Apr
11 16:37:21 CDT 2008
mixx941@amd645200.localhost:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/AMD645200  amd64

I'm willing to help however I can to track the problem down.

Thanks in advance,

-Mark

[1] =
http://tntpowerhost.com/mixx941/freebsd/linux-opera_printing_output_1

--
Internet Radio:
Party107 (Trance/Electronic) - http://www.party107.com

IRC:
MIXXnet IRC Network - irc.mixxnet.net (Nick: MIXX941)