Date:      Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:26:10 -0500
From:      "DaleCo, S.P.---'the solutions people'" <daleco@daleco.biz>
To:        <b0w3n@attbi.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Can I and where to learn how?

From: "bowen" <b0w3n@attbi.com>
To: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 12:52 PM
Subject: Can I and where to learn how?

> Hi I've been going through the handbook and the faq's and wondering
how
> or if it's possible to do the following

Yep to most from my POV.  Comments inline...

> 1_) I'd like to use my FreeBSD 4.7 to act as the home to 3 windows
> machines my documents folder.

Samba. www.samba.org  for more details.  It's in the ports I'm quite
sure....

> 2_) I'd like to use it for my WWW server

Apache, chosen by 2/3 of the entire WWW.  www.apache.org, in
the ports, lots of apache users round here (and everywhere, as I
said...
two-thirds!!)

> 3_) I'd like to use it for my FTP server

FTP is built in; some people like to keep that one disabled
and install something different.  As with #1 and #2 above,
it's great.  A quote from www.freebsd.org :

    "makes an ideal internet/intranet server."  (or something
like that, quoted by memory here.)

> 4_) I have 1 fat32 drive that I want to use for the windows
machines my
> documents folders? So how do I mount them in say /home dir? And
then use
> Samba to share those? And can I set permissions and ownership of
each
> sub directory within the /home/backup mount??

Good question.  FBSD can read NTFS, I think, but I don't think
it speaks FAT.   (I could be wrong here.)  I've never tried mounting
a Windoze HDD in a FBSD box, can't think of why I'd want to, although
I guess you don't want to have to find a place to store all that
stuff while
you newfs a UFS volume.  You might try googling for more info...
Or, trim your email to just that question and ask again....

> 5_) I have one UFS? Default Freebsd drive mounted in /home/www for
the
> web server. Just wondering if that's a good place to have it or
should I
> mount it somewhere else?

Apache doesn't care as long as the config is OK.

> 6_) I have a raid system formatted fat32 for my ftp server which I
need
> to access from one windows machine to manage the files and
directories
> within? Part two of this question is this when I had it on windows
2000
> I used Guildftpd as my ftp server dameon and I was wondering what
would
> be a good ftp server to use on freebsd?

Well, since FTP is understood (more or less, let's not open that can
of worms)
by M$oft, you can manage via the ftp shell, right?  Or, do as many
do, and run
the FBSD box from Windows via telnet or SSH (SSH *much* preferred...)

The stock ftpd is OK IMO.  If you want RAID, you'll need to check out
vinum, or one of the other RAID managers in the ports system, or find
a 3rd
party app to handle the disks.

> I know this is probably a crazy attempt but I like Freebsd a lot. I
have
> rebuilt my Kernel already lol and got a good install, if I'm mental
> thinking I can use this for all that please just let me know... was
just
> trying to find an alternative to windows
>
> TIA for any and all help

You're welcome!
> Rick

Kevin Kinsey,