Date:      Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:07:24 +0700
From:      Erich <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Mark Andrews <marka@isc.org>
Cc:        Chris Rees <crees@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "freebs @mail.isc.org>> Current FreeBSD" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>, Adam Strohl <adams-freebsd@ateamsystems.com>
Subject:   Re: Why Are You NOT Using FreeBSD?

Hi,

On 05 June 2012 11:24:25 Mark Andrews wrote:

> Version tagging is just a convient way to get a snapshot at a
> particular point in time unless you create branches that are them

we do not ask for more. There should be only one difference to a snapshot. As snapshot has a date. No matter in what state the ports tree was, it is in that state in the ports tree. If user - especially the one not so fit in this aspect - want to use a snapshot, it will be difficult to impossible to figure out which one they need.

If version numbers would be introduced, it would be ok to use the version number of the FreeBSD and have only version available which reflect the release version of the ports tree.

People here want to make always a perfect system. People like me want to have some small things in there available with a click.

As the ports trees are there anyway, only the direct link to the snapshot of that day or a version number in the ports tree would be needed to make this available for people who just want to use FreeBSD.

Please note, I do not want any extra work spend here to make this perfect. I only want a simple way to fall back to a big net which is not that old from which the user can restart.

You can add a huge note to the links stating the risks. This is all fine.

There is another reason why I ask for this. I noticed a long time ago that the ports are in a better shape around the release date of a new version. So, I try to get it always around the release dates. But, some times - you know how life is - I miss this date. It does not kill me but it leads some times to extra work steps I can do but I see the problems people will face who know FreeBSD not that well.

> One doesn't have to live at the bleeding edge with ports if one
> doesn't want to even when compiling.  One can live a day, a week,
> a month behind the bleeding edge and allow other to hit problems
> and report them.

How is this done with the knowledge of a beginner?

Erich