Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 2009 20:17:12 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <invalid.pointer@gmail.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: The question of moving vi to /bin

> Hi,
>
> I agree that vi is nowhere as easy to use as ee. Since a lot of people seem to be happy with ee, why not make it available under /bin so that that there is an easy-to-use, readily-working editor always available, even if you are in single-user mode ?
>
> That in fact was the essence of this entire thread. The thing is /bin/ed and /rescue/vi have their unique problems and peculiarities. If at least there can be a general consensus that ee should be under /bin, a lot of people could possibly find it beneficial in emergencies. The problem again, I suspect, might be that moving ee to /bin would possibly need the terminal database to be kept under / directly, which goes against freebsd's obsession with a micro-minimalistic base.
>
> One solution might be to keep a pared-down version of the database that provides only for the most commonly used terminals to be placed under /, and single-user mode set up to use this database.

Hi,

I agree that vi is nowhere as easy to use as ee. Since a lot of people
seem to be happy with ee, why not make it available under /bin so that
that there is an easy-to-use, readily-working editor always available,
even if you are in single-user mode ?

That in fact was the essence of this entire thread. The thing is /bin/ed
and /rescue/vi have their unique problems and peculiarities. If at least
there can be a general consensus that ee should be under /bin, a lot of
people could possibly find it beneficial in emergencies. The problem
again, I suspect, might be that moving ee to /bin would possibly need
the terminal database to be kept under / directly, which goes against
freebsd's concept of a micro-minimalistic base.

One solution might be to keep a pared-down version of the database that
provides only for the most commonly used terminals placed under  /  and
single-user mode set up to use this database.

--
Regards
Manish Jain

Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.