Date:      Tue, 1 Apr 1997 15:37:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@korin.warman.org.pl>
To:        Developer <dev@fgate.flevel.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Desperate for help!

On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Developer wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Developer wrote:
> >

> > > We are really stuck trying to get the PPP user program (ppp) to connect to
> > > our Perle 833 dial in server. We can connect using Windows NT fine but on
> > > BSD ppp logs in and then data will travel in both directions (As I can see
> > > the modem lights flash at both ends for both send/recieve) but no data
> > > seems to actually get through as pings do not work. The packets from the
> > > server to the user, but seem to be lost on the way back.
> >
> > Let me take a guess: maybe it's a known problem with tcp_extensions set to
> > YES in /etc/sysconfig? Some broken TCP stacks don't like it, so the
> > solution would be to turn it off.
> >
> > Andy
>
> We've tried this - no difference.  Any more ideas please?

Did you try to hunt for problems in the output of:
* ppp with debugging on
* netstat -r
* tcpdump -i tun0

The modem lights may flash, but it shows only that the two modems are
waving hands at each other... :-)

Andy,

Andrzej Bialecki <abial@warman.org.pl>    _)    _)   _)_)   _)_)_) _)  _)
Research and Academic Network in Poland   _)  _)_) _)_)_)_)     _) _) _)
Bartycka 18, 00-716 Warsaw, Poland        _)    _) _)    _) _)_)_) _)  _)