Date:      Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:36:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tom Huppi <thuppi@huppi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT/DNS question/recommendation?

I have a FreeBSD 5.3 workstation connected to the net via user-ppp
with a dynamic IP.  I have user-ppp doing both NAT and simple
firewall.

I have a headless server box, also 5.3, set up as a NAT client.
I run it only when I need the horsepower since it's loud and sucks
power.

My problem is that the NAT client acts funny.  It makes the
gateway/workstation box dial up when I attempt to automount from
it for example.  Also I've had troubles with ssh delays.  I'm
pretty sure that what is happening is that it wants to use DNS to
resolve names sometime even though all that it needs _should_ be
in the /etc/hosts file (and nsswitch.conf lists files first.)

On the NAT client, I have my defaultrouter set to the NAT server's
IP (in the 172.16 range.)  Also I have my ISP's dns server in
/etc/resolv.conf.  I can't seem to make things work well any other
way.

Can someone recommend a better setup to aviod my problems, or
suggest that I should _not_ be having these problems with this
setup and that something else in my setup must be wrong?

A long, long time ago, I set up a caching-only DNS server on a
gateway box 'for the fun of it.' If there is not a simpler
solution, I'll do it again (though the fun has worn off), but I
thought I'de ask here first.

BTW, I have done some research on this, but really didn't find
that many specific details about NAT client
configuration...possibly I just didn't look hard enough.

Thanks,

 - Tom