Date:      Sat, 27 Nov 1999 19:57:41 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        big-sky@altavista.net, Freebsd-Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XNTP help

On Saturday, 27 November 1999 at 10:28:06 -0600, Mark Einreinhof wrote:
> OK, I'm getting really frustrated. Reading the man for xntpd, I'm left
> with the impression that xntpd goes out and gets the time sync every
> now and then. However, on my machine, it keeps losing time. After a
> reboot, the time is fixed, but then slowly moves ahead of the correct
> time. Currently it is 1hr 14minutes ahead and I just rebooted it last
> night.
>
> ps -ax displays:
> 257  ??  S<s    0:21.19 xntpd -b -c /etc/ntp.conf -f /etc/ntp.drift
>
> Entry in rc.conf:
> xntpd -b -c /etc/ntp.conf -f /etc/ntp.drift

Why have you done this?  You shouldn't have any commands in rc.conf.
You should have:

xntpd_enable="YES"		# Run xntpd Network Time Protocol (or NO).

The other defaults in /etc/defaults/rc.conf are correct.  But this
shouldn't be your problem.

> Entry ntp.conf:
> server tick.uh.edu

Are you sure that it's accepting your requests?

> Do I need to set up a cron job for this?

No.

> Did I type something wrong?

I can't see anything.  What does your /var/log/messages say on the
subject?

Greg