Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:24:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Timmons <skynyrd@opus.cts.cwu.edu>
To:        Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@clinet.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs usage

Here's what I do:

	cvs co -P -rRELENG_2_2 src

to start out with (-P is supposedly implied by using -r
but I put it there anyways.)

To update, I've found that you still need to supply the -rRELENG_2_2
because directories (and the files contained within them) that are present
on the main trunk (i.e. current) but not on the RELENG_2_2 branch will be
created if you omit -r.  This phenomemon will give you what I call a 2.2+
system which is neither desired nor typically buildable!

For directories that were created on your initial checkout, sticky tags
are present which will cause them to be updated as you expect.  So for
example:

	cd /usr/src
	cvs -q update -Pd -rRELENG_2_2

would be the way to update the tree you created with the initial checkout
shown above.  I suppose there are probably 49 reasons why this might be a
goofy way of doing things but it has worked pretty well for me :)

-Chris