Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 22:54:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Native PPPoE broken (4.6-STABLE), RP-PPPoE working?!

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Jun 2002 18:53:32 -0700 (PDT), in sentex.lists.freebsd.net you
> wrote:
> >> After spending a couple of hours getting it to compile, I
> >> got Roaring Penguin (latest release) and pppd-3.11 compiled
> >> and installed on my 4.6-STABLE (June 17) box, and connected
> >> it just fine.  Speeds are exactly as expected, and there's
> >> *no* slowness at all.
> >
> >define "slowness"?
> Hi,
>
> about 300 or 400 bytes per second (yes, bytes per second, not kBytes or
> kbits)
>
> >Does RP attach to 'ppp' or does it supply it's own?
>
> I think Damian had to compile an update PPPd (3.11) to make it work

It seems hard to understand how the pppoe node in the kernel can slow
things down. It takes the ethernet packets decapsulates them
and passes them to the next layer. However if there is some
latency added it should show up in a comparative analysis of
tcpdump and ppp logs. (comparing the times that a packet arrived at the
interface and the time that PPP thiks it got the packet.

> >> So it appears that the in-kernel PPPoE implementation is
> >> broken, and Roaring Pengiun's is working?  (Or that the
> >> new concentrator is breaking from the spec, and causing
> >> problems with the in-kernel implementation...)
> >
> >This is my guess, I've seen this before..
> >some manufacturers asssume that if it works with W95 they
> >can stop testing and often thay make assumptions about the
> >parts of the spec that they shouldn't....
>
> Quite possibly.  The hard part to explain to the manufacture is that it
> works with
> Windows 95,98, XP, 2000, Linux and a Cisco 827.
> It does not work with
> FreeBSD

I undertsand and we want to try figure out what the problem is..
regardless of who is doing what wrong according to the standard..