Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 21:49:08 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, costa@inner.cortx.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sd0 timed out while idle

On Jul 7, Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com> wrote:
>   Also, the ncr controllers are little finicky.  They have a delay option
> that I had to increase otherwise it wouldn't wait long enough for the
> drives to spin up.  But I only had this problem on cold boots (never on
> warm), and only with the ncr controllers.  The Adaptec controllers seem to
> wait much longer by default.

The "NCR controllers" ???
They don't exist ... :)

In fact, there are several independently developed BIOS
versions offered with the various brands of NCR chip,
and even my (2.5 year old) ASUS SP3G lets you specify
an additional power on delay ...

The Tekram cards seem to wait significantly longer by
default (at least my DC390F does), compared to the SDMS
BIOS cards from Symbios and others.

>   Quatum drives are known to go on a holiday after some continuous use.
> Grand Prix drives are particularly bad.  In fact, I think the Atlas is the
> only respectible Quantum drive.

How about the quality of the Atlas II and the Viking ?
I don't really understand, why they offer two 7200RPM
drives, again. Reminds me of the Atlas/Grand Prix ...

Regards, STefan