Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:17:45 -0400
From:      "Paul Horechuk" <phorechuk@docucom.ca>
To:        <stable@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   X won't start

I'm running v3.2 as per the CD-ROM release. My system is AMD K6/233 with ATI
All in Wonder video. I've gone through the process of running the XF86
config, for both client and server. I've run the vidtune to set my screen
resolutions and I can run the KDE desktop. Here is the problem:

On a fresh boot, I type startx and I get an error complaining about not
finding any servers. If I use /stand/sysinstall and run the XF86 config
option again, I get a screen with the video distorted. There is enough
visible to let me respond OK and SAVE at the various buttons. The
configuration process ends and I'm back at the sysinstall prompts for the
next step, the choice of environments. If I abort at this point to return to
the prompt and then run startx, everything is ok and KDE starts up. This is
using the root account.

What am I missing? I have not been able to configure my dialup to my ISP yet
( there is some strange PAP authorizations going on, which I haven't figured
out yet) and as a result have not been able to cvsup anything newer. The 3.3
CD is about to be installed. Is there something I should check on first?

Thanks.