Date:      Wed, 18 Dec 2002 11:09:28 -0800
From:      Nick Jennings <nkj@namodn.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Minimizing base-system size

Hi All,

 Recently I installed FreeBSD on an old 486/DX100 with a very small hard
 drive. I am planning to use it as a little bookshelf firewall to
 replace my p200 tower which just takes up too much space.

 At first I didn't think about system size, I re-built the basesystem
 with nothing disabled in the make.conf

 Now I am realizing I need to make this system smaller, I've disabled
 several things in the make.conf:

NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND
NO_FORTRAN=     true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
NO_LPR= true    # do not build lpr and related programs
NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
NOPROFILE=      true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
NOUUCP= true    # do not build uucp related programs

 And I'd like to rebuild the system & remove everything that is from
 the original build. Is there a supported way to do this?

 Any ideas appreciated.

- Nick Jennings