Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:02:38 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        orig injun <originjun@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.2.1 / XFree86 4.3 .0 on Dell Inspiron 5000

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:41:00 -0700 (PDT)
orig injun <originjun@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > I am wondering if somebody can help me get X up and running on
> > my Dell Inspiron 5000 Laptop.

hello,

most likely.  it has been running just fine on mine for years now.

> > After installing the OS and X, I generated XF86Config using
> > XFree86 -configure. I am attaching the file below. When I
> > run 'startx' with this configuration file in /etc/X11, the
> > machine just hangs.
> >
> > The console shows:
> > xauth: (argv):1: bad display name "machinename:0" in "list"
> > command
> >
> > xauth: (stdin):2: bad display name "machinename:0" in "add"
> > command

i haven't bumped into either of these errors before, but whenever i'm in
doubt, i google.  did you?

http://www.google.ca/search?q=xauth:+(argv):1:+bad+display+name&sourceid=opera&num=30&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

just from a cursory glance at the hits, methinks your 'hostname' might
be the issue.

> > followed by XFree86 and FreeBSD version information
> > before it freezes. Nothing gets written to XFree86.0.log
> >
> > I am running FreeBSD 5.2.1 Release #0 as downloaded from
> > freebsd.org. The XFree86 version that comes with this is
> > 4.3.0 released on 27 February 2003. The machine itself is
> > a 500Mhz PIII laptop with 256MB or RAM. Is X supposed to
> > work with this configuration. If so, could somebody tell
> > me what I am doing wrong or send me a good XF86Config
> > file.
> >
> > My only alternative would be to try Linux (Fedora 2 or
> > Gentoo) but I would much prefer to stick with FreeBSD
> > if I can.

well, you most certainly can go that route, if you prefer not to
research the problem.  however, keep in mind that X is X, regardless of
the platform upon which you decide to plop it.  in other words, good
luck with that solution.

at any rate, i hope that this gets you moving in the right direction.

cheers,
epi

p.s. there are much newer versions of XFree and Xorg.  both are
shipped with an autoconfigure tool.  is there any reason you've
decided not to run those?