Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 14:43:24 +0000
From:      Colman Reilly <careilly@monoid.cs.tcd.ie>
To:        config@freebsd.org
Cc:        Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
Subject:   Re: WebAdmin (was: RE: /usr/src/release/sysinstall needs YOU. :-))

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:19:53 +1030
From: Mike Smith <mike@word>

	> OK.  Enough goading.  :-)

	OK.  8)  I saved this mesasge because it's a good place to start
	plugging Juliet again.  8)

	> I don't feel qualified enough to start down this path alone.  There
	> are a lot of nontrivial security issues to deal with, and a lot of
	> nontrivial configuration issues to deal with, too.

	This becomes easier when you layer the security issues.  I would stop
	worrying about them for starters.

I've written up and published a summary of the architectural discussions as
I understand them together with some of my thoughts on the security issues
at http://www.cs.tcd.ie/~careilly/portia/ArchNotes. The network here has been
a bit unstable over the last week or two so it may be a bit unreliable.
(Something to do with ATM switches I believe. What a suprise.)

It's only a draft that I knocked up over the last hour, so excuse the quality.
I'll try and keep it up to date as the discussion progresses and I'll try
to write up a comprehensible explanation of what I mean by a "layered access
control system" (LAX) over the weekend.

Apologies in advance if I've mis-interpreted any of the discussion. Note that
I am entirely agnostic about which languages we implement in. I see no reason
that different layers shouldn't have different implementation languages.

Colman