Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 1997 08:37:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        imp@village.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org, obrien@NUXI.com
Subject:   Re: conditionally including <sys/param.h>

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Bruce Evans wrote:

> >: strerror() doesn't exist on old systems.
> >
> >True.  But how old is old?
>
> Orphaned systems still don't have it.
>
> >: I think we should just use `#ifdef __FreeBSD__' and <sys/param.h> in
> >: ports.  Original authors should use a better method to suit themselves.
> >
> >Yes, but this whole thing got started because the #ifdef __FreeBSD__
> >was slowly turning into
> >	#if defined(__OpenBSD__) || defined(__NetBSD__) || defined(__FreeBSD__)
> >in a bunch of places due to those projects riding along on the FreeBSD
> >port's coat tails.
>
> Maybe include <sys/param.h> unconditionally?  I'm not sure why I mentioned
> the __FreeBSD__ ifdef above.  I've never liked ifdefing on the OS -
> it isn't necessary for one OS and gives too-large ifdefs for more than
> 2 OS's.  You'll still need large ifdefs if configuration depends on the
> value of `BSD' and the value is OS-dependent.

No, that wouldn't work.  We're talking about something we'd ask authors of
packages that weren't written for FreeBSD to include (and to include for
NetBSD and OpenBSD) to get their packages to work with ours.  This isn't
just for your own ports use.  Since just including sys/param.h would cause
packages to fail to compile on many platforms, no one outside FreeBSD
would be willing to take our advice on it.  We need something that works
for Free|Net|OpenBSD but isn't fatal for other platforms.

> Bruce

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |