Date:      Sun, 10 Jul 2016 22:42:51 -0700
From:      Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
To:        koobs@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for your input. I'm really glad to have these
discussions. Romain, your "2 cents" are very insiteful and already
within days the repositories I cloned were outdated. I can see the
limits of the tools much as you have described them.

So, I have gone back and asked myself, "what the hell is it you are
trying to do?" The answer is not "maintain repositories". The answer
is "bring together a community that cares about FreeBSD where people
with mono/.net skills to contribute". The mono stack was outdated
until a few hours ago, (awesome job Romain, can't wait to test your
patches) and there was no clear documentation on what needs to happen
and who is participating.

These discussions seem to have pushed things in the right direction
regardless of the FreeBSD-DotNet github project. Romain has already
patched fsharp (I just did that last night), mono and some others.
FreeBSD doesn't accept Github Pull Requests so the ports patches need
to be pushed through Bugzilla and/or Phabricator in the end anyway.

We can do all of this in svn, bugzilla and phabricator (and thanks for
the offer koobs!). I hope that all our patches wind up upstream. In
fact, I would prefer all of that.  However, GitHub is the
tool-of-the-day and there are some primitive tools to manage these
things. Moreover, I don't have to ask anyones permission.

SO, the FreeBSD-DotNet project is about community. I have created a
developers wiki here:
https://github.com/FreeBSD-DotNet/Developer-Wiki

There is not much in it yet, but by the end of the week I will have
some process around issues and whatnot as these are the tools
available.

If you want to show your support for Mono and Dot-Net on FreeBSD via
GitHub, feel free to send me a request and become a member. I hope
that members will help keep the issues updated so there is a place we
can see what is happening. As members we can push patches to a
community location, or not as the individual so chooses. BUT if we can
track issues, put together better documentation, share patches, and
improve the quality of DotNet through community, then I think that's a
good thing.

Ivan has some patches as well and I'll get those up there asap. Ivan,
if you have some ideas for GH process you want to see, then now is the
time to voice that.

In the end, if the site is not helpful, then so be it. But lets give
it a shot, shall we?

Russ